Men and women notice lips. They are an important part of your face. Lips that are naturally healthy are most desired. The skin on our lips is different from the skin on the rest of our body. Thinner and more delicate, lip skin does not have oil glads so it can’t produce it’s own moisture. Weather, licking your lips, sun damage, medication and drying ingredients can all lead to damaged lips. It is for these reasons that we need to give them some extra TLC.
Keeping your Lips Healthy
It’s important to exfoliate, nourish and staying hydrated. Since at Amalie, we are all about natural options here are some products/treatments to consider:
- Exfoliate – Removing the dry skin cells helps to encourage new healthy skin growth but it’s important to do this gently. You can make a home scrub with Brown Sugar for Exfoliation, Organic Honey for natural healing and Organic Coconut Oil for deep nourishing. The full recipe is outlined by Honest.
- Nourish your Lips – Since the skin on your lips do not have oil glands it’s important to lubricate them. Some of the top Natural oils to consider are: Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil, Almond Oil and Sunflower Oil. It is also recommended that you try products with a combination of Aloe and Vitamin E. I personally like SuperGoop! Lip Balm because it has SPF 30 but there are others.
- Drink More Water – Based on a study from Mayo Clinic it is recommended that the average Women drink a minimum of 11.5 cups of liquid each day. More detailed tips can be seen in Medical News Today.
Top Lip Makeup Trends for 2020
- Reds – Red is always in! If you want to get attention – finding the perfect red is the way to go. The issue is finding it. If you have ever embarked on this journey you know how hard it can be to find the right red for your skin tone. Some advice? Go to a professional to help you find your perfect red. Also be sure to step outside the shop or in different light to really be sure you can confidently wear red. Hot shades fro 2020 include:Oxford Primary Red colors , Pumpkin shades of Red, Deep Bordeaux Red tones
- Fuchsia – Like all lip colors you should be sure to match the best shade to your skin tone. Also be aware that if you spend time outside your skin shade likely changes in the summer months. Allure does a nice job outlining the best fuchsia shades for each skin type.
- Violet – Most of the violet shades for 2020 are deeper and more bold. Pinterest outlines some of the top trending shades.
- Natural Look – If you prefer a more subtle look – good news! Like red lipstick, the natural look will always be in style. No Lipstick, Lipstick & Glossy, Nude Shades are all in for 2020. While a nude look sounds simple, it can take some time to find your best shade. I enjoyed this article from intothegloss.com as they go into details on how each woman found her optimal shade.
- Bold Lip Trends – If you are ready to be more daring and really want to be noticed then try Metallics, Goth or Two Toned Lips. Metallics can come in numerous shades – Purple, Bronze, Greens, Blues – you name it. One word of caution is that the deeper shades can make you look aged so keep that in mind as you try options. BeautyGeeks outline the benefits and pitfalls of the metallic trend. Check here is you’re considering this option and are on the fence. Goth is what you would think – lots of blacks and deep tones. Shades can be glossy or be matte. Lastly, there is a movement towards two toned lip shades. This can be achieved by the top lip being a different color than the lower lip, outer edges of the lips being a different shade than the center, other… You get the idea. It’s a fun way to make a statement and play with color. Cosmopolitan outlines some of the best ways to do two toned in their how to.
Gentle Reminders: If you liked this type of content and want to see more, scroll to the top of the page, enter your email in the right hand column, and click “subscribe.” To share with friends, use the social sharing icons below.