Castor oil is a multi-purpose vegetable oil that has been used for thousands of years. It’s made by extracting oil from the seeds of the Ricinus communis plant. In ancient Egypt castor oil was used as a natural remedy for skin ailments and today it is very popular with natural beauty products. Castor oil is packed with nutritionally beneficial ingredients. With ricinoleic acid (a monounsaturated fatty acid), omega-6, 9 additional fatty acids, vitamin E, and minerals castor oil is really healthy for hair and skin.
Benefits to Skin
The natural fats in castor oil act as humectants and can be used to moisturize the skin. Humectants retain moisture by preventing water loss through the outer layer of the skin.
Castor oil promotes hydration so it’s no surprise that it’s often used in natural lotions, makeup and cleansers. Castor oil also has been to known to reduce inflammation related symptoms associated with acne. Castor oil has antimicrobial properties that may also help fight bacterial overgrowth when applied to the skin.
Castor oil is thick and it has a strong scent so it’s frequently mixed with other skin-friendly oils like almond, olive and coconut oil to make an ultra-hydrating moisturizer.
A word of caution: Castor oil is generally considered safe for use on your skin but it can cause an allergic reaction to some so it’s important to test on the skin prior to consistent use. Choose a small are on your skin and/or scalp and apply castor oil. Wait about 12 hours and check to see is you have had any skin irritation, if not, proceed.
Benefits to Hair
Many people use castor oil as a natural hair conditioner. Dry or damaged hair can especially benefit from an it’s intense moisturizing properties.
Benefits of Castor Oil Include:
- Controls Hairfall
- Encourages Hair Growth
- Minimizes Dandruff
- Reduces Split Ends
- Thickens Hair
- Naturally Conditions Hair
- Darkens Hair
- Increases Shine
- Protects Hair from Damage
There are 2 types of castor oil that are most often used for hair care — organic castor oil and Jamaican black castor oil.
Organic/Cold Pressed Castor Oil
- Extracted directly from the castor seed with no heat involved; a process called expeller pressing
- The cold pressing ensures there is no degradation of any of the nutrients present in the seed
- It is pale yellow in color
- If you have curly hair and an itchy or dry scalp that is prone to irritation, unrefined castor oil would be your best option.
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- Initially roasted and then pressed for oil
- The ashes of the roasted castor seeds are added to the oil, which gives it its black color
- If you have straight hair and a healthy scalp, Jamaican Black Castor Oil is likely your best choice.
Castor oil is an amazing ingredient to treat hair loss and to boost hair growth but, its texture and strong smell might not appeal to some. In this case, you can combine castor oil with other beneficial oils to create a hair oil solution that is optimal for your need. An example is when you combine Organic Castor Oil with Organic Jojoba Oil you will help to get results faster. Jojoba oil is more alkaline and it helps to clarify and open cuticles so the Castor Oil can penetrate into hair faster. It will also modify the scent.
More on how to use and mix castor oil solutions for hair growth from Stylecraze.
Benefits to Eyebrows & Eyelashes
Along with the hair on your head Castor Oil has been used to nourish and strengthen both eyebrows and eyelashes. We tend to damage our lashes and brows and this can cause trauma to the hair follicle ( the base of the hair) so it’s no surprise that people of all ages are seeking ways to grow thicker, more lush lashes and brows. When your hair isn’t growing, it’s either resting or well, dead. If it’s dead there is nothing that can bring it back. If it’s resting, we have a chance to stimulate the follicle back into a growth phase through the use of essential fatty acids. You can use straight castor oil but it’s typically more effective when combined with other natural oils. Enter the creation of WINK.
WINK– to enhance what we’ve already got. Essential fatty acids have been found to increase hair growth by stimulating prostaglanoid production naturally, which would result in fuller, longer lashes as well as fuller brows. Your body cannot produce essential fatty acids by itself so using a topical custom mix of essential fatty acids like WINK can really make a difference. WINK is a mix of Omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 9 essential fatty acids based on our ancestral diet, from a variety of natural nut and seed oils.
The Power of Essential Fatty Acids
The most import thing to note about WINK’s formulation is it’s unique mixture of essential fatty acids, derived from some of nature’s finest and most exclusive ingredients. Your body cannot produce these essential fatty acids on its own, and they are essential for strong, healthy and full hair–which includes eyelashes and eyebrows. Our aim with WINK is to bring the essential fatty acid mix as close as possible to our ancestors diets, for improved hair growth and functionality.
Additionally, WINK contains several penetration enhancers, which help the ingredients get into the skin deeper and faster than ever.
- ORGANIC CASTOR OIL
- ORGANIC RASPBERRY SEED OIL – anti-oxidant rich in vitamin E
- ORGANIC ARGAN OIL – extremely moisturizing and filled with natural fatty acids that help open hair follicles.
- ORGANIC KUKUI SEED OIL – Rich in Omega 3, Omega 9 and Omega 6 Hawaiians use kukui seed oil for anything from stretch marks, to burns, eczema and even healing wounds. Its deep healing properties make it a special ingredient.
- ORGANIC BORAGE OIL – simply put, it’s one of the best foods you can supply to your lashes and brows for healthy growth.
- OLIVE SQUALANE – Very silky, oily texture that penetrates the skin super fast. It’s literally the best carrier that nature can make.
- ORGANIC BAOBAB OIL – High in Omega 9, Omega 6 it is very similar to human skin thereby assisting with penetration abilities.
- ORGANIC JOJOBA OIL – is very similar to our skin’s natural oil composition, making it a great “balancing” agent for skin oil.
- ORGANIC TAMANU OIL – Is high in Omega-9, Omega-6, stearic acid and palmitic acid bringing the overall WINK formulation close to our skin’s natural oil composition, for increased penetration.
- ORGANIC POMEGRANATE SEED OIL – High in Omega-5 fatty acids, known for high anti-oxidants which help minimize inflammation and keep skin from aging.
- ELDERBERRY PHYTOCIDE OS – is a natural preservative so it keeps the oils fresh but it also is a great skin conditioner with anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Wink Lash & Brow Oil is Oil is — 99% Organic, Vegan, Free of Soy, Corn & Gluten, cruelty-free and Made in the USA. If you’re seeking a natural/organic solution be sure the ingredients are transparent. There are lots of claims out there so if you need to look everything up to tell what it is then it likely is not really Natural or Organic.
Gentle Reminders: Thanks for reading! If you want to continue seeing content like this, scroll to the top right, enter in your email and click subscribe. This blog contains affiliate links. Clicking on them or purchasing through them is a great way to say “thank you” for the content!
Thanks for such a great article! I never actually thought about using castor oil for my skin, it always seemed too thick! But makes sense when you describe it as a humectant 🙂 I recently learned about JBCO and that is super good for the scalp (saw that here https://www.sittingprettyhalohair.com/blogs/news/castor-oil-for-hair). I have thin hair so always used the regular stuff, but maybe using both would be cool.
Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch since I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch.
Thanks… I adore castor oil, it helped my eyebrows grow and come back to my face )) As to my eyelashes, I am doing very well with Cherish Lash serum )) I simply love it as it makes my eyelashes so long and silky.
Thanks for your post and I would like to say that this information must have answered very important questions not only for me but for various other users who are confused about if need to use this oil or not.
I was also much concerned with the dry hair, thin hair, and hair breakage, but I started to use castor oil directly made in jamaica.
CITADELLE OIL | HAITIAN BLACK CASTOR OIL | OIL OF PALMA CHRISTI.
100% PURE AND NATURAL ORGANIC RICIN OIL – Our organic castor carrier oil is unfiltered, undiluted, without any additives or fillers. Rich in vitamins and fatty acids, this is truly a spectacular carrier oil.
From skin care to hair care & body massage & beyond, this incredible oil has endless uses. HAIR RICIN OILS – This oil helps moisturize, thicken and strengthen hair follicles. Click on the link to see more
This is an interesting blog and amazing information about castor oil benefits, castor oil is very beneficial for the face and hair, thanks for sharing with us.
This article is very helpful and gives very correct information about Benefits of Castor Oil for Hair. Without reading this article i really don’t know about benefits of castor oil for hair. It is really very helpful for everyone. I have read this article and after reading this article i have applied castor oil for my hair and i am getting very good results. Castor oil for hair is very beneficial for hair and it has lots of benefits for our hair. This article is very helpful for everyone.